- To provide full-time and part-time courses of instructions and training technology, the sciences, commerce, humanities and each other fields of learning relevant to the needs of the community, as the Council may from time to time, determine
- To provide courses of in-service training workshops and seminars for members of the public sector.
- To provide, through teaching, research and other means, the development of knowledge and its practical application to the needs of community and
- To award diplomas and certificates in fields of learning to qualified students.
The duties of the Polytechnic are:
- To provide full and part-time courses of study both in the professional and academic fields.
- To establish Departments and such other Units of learning and research necessary for carrying into effect the provisions of this Edict.
- To provide residential and other amenities necessary for the welfare of the staff and students of the Polytechnic.
- To institute and award fellowships, scholarships, prizes and other aids to the advancement of its courses and research.
- To demand and receive from students of the Polytechnic such fees as the Council may, with the prior approval of the Governor, from time to time, determine.
- To operate its own bank accounts, borrow and invest money, accept gifts upon terms not inconsistent with its objects, dispose of any of its assets, establish trusts and act as trustee or manager of any legacy, endowment, bequest or gifts solely or jointly with any other person
- To print or publish works or sell books or undertake such services as may be deemed consistent with its objects.
- To enter into any contract or other transaction.
- To acquire and hold movable or immovable property and to dispose of such property and where there is any hindrance to the acquisition of the property, the property may be acquired for the Polytechnic under the Land Use Decree No. 6 of 1978; and
- To do all other acts as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the objects of the Polytechnic.
The Polytechnic may, by a special arrangement or affiliation with any other institution of higher learning prepare its students for the Diplomas, Certificates or other distinctions of such institutions.